Friday 10 January 2014

What's wrong with our food system?

The other day I came across this particularly interesting video titled "What's wrong with our food system?" The most impressive part - it's given by an 11-year-old kid, Birke Baehr who dreams of becoming an organic farmer! He covers all sorts of issues, such as marketing of food to factory farming and pesticides. I thought the depth of his knowledge was so impressive. I can tell you that when I was 11 years old, I definitely wasn't thinking about where my food was coming from! I hope you all enjoy his talk as much as I did!


A small aside - in his video, Birke mentions that "corn is in everything". If you'd like to learn more on the subject, I strongly recommend Michael Pollan's book The Omnivore's Dilemma. Pollan (2006) follows the food chain through industrial farming, organic farming, and finally foraging. For me, it was really fascinating (and surprising) to learn about corn's colossal presence in the farming and food industry.




Thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment